BIA Testing (Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis)
Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis is also known as Body Composition Testing or Body Composition Analysis. BIA measures the ratio of your body’s lean muscle to fat. This quick, pain-free testing determines what percentage of your body is made up of muscle, fat and water weight. This measurement can be a helpful indicator of health in a variety of scenarios some of which include:
- If you’re actively seeking to lose weight, the test would provide a way to see if your fat stores are being lost as opposed to water weight, muscle, etc. This is an important distinction when seeking to lose weight in a healthy manner.
- If you’re working to increase your muscle mass through weight lifting and desire to decrease your overall percentage of body fat.
- If you’re generally fit and would like a baseline to better understand your current health and fitness level, and to determine what steps should be taken to actively increase your overall state of wellness.
- Your healthy body composition will reduce health risks and lead to healthy:
- Cholesterol Levels
- Glucose Levels
- Insulin Levels
- Hormone Balance
- Blood Pressure
- Supports healthy insulin levels, glucose delivery, cell production, and function.
- An unhealthy body composition will increase health risks and lead to:
- High Cholesterol
- High Glucose Levels
- Excess Insulin
- Hormone Imbalance
- High Blood Pressure
- Increased risk for diabetes, poor energy production, and unhealthy cell production
To administer the test, small electrodes are placed on the pulse points of the wrists and inside the ankles. An imperceptible and painless electrical current passes through the electrodes and into the body for a few seconds. The electrodes are then removed. The BIA test results are available immediately. Oftentimes it is helpful to receive a BIA test multiple times per year, especially when you’re on a weight-loss program or high-intensity workout regimen.
This test is not covered by most health insurance plans but is free to members of our HeartFit™ program. Further, we have reduced the standard fee in our attempt to make this service available to all of our patients. Please contact our office for additional details or questions.